Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Copyright Issue...Again

Hi guys, 

I am finally done with all my Christmas orders that needed to be mailed...Woohoo!!!! I always get excited when the last package is shipped off and cross my fingers that the buyer will like my creations. 

There really hasn't been much else going on aside from Christmas orders and wrapping a million presents for my friends and family so let's get right to it. 

Once again I've been approached regarding one of my items on Etsy...(Sigh) I know we are tired of hearing the same old story about Copyright as well as the accusations, intimidation tactics and other shenanigans some of the online community feels compelled to use. I understand the need to protect your creative genius as well as your business. But there comes a point when you just have to sit down and think to yourself did this person just really called me a thief?...(gasp). 

It really is shameful that we feel compelled to attack one another when in fact we should be promoting handmade goods as well as small businesses so that we can ALL succeed. So from now on I'll like to make myself clear and state that any further observations/complaints/threats/passive aggressive statements will not be addressed. 

Also, to clarify for those of you who are doubtful if I use a pattern from another source other than my own I will ALWAYS give credit to the designer, whether they have a "clause of doom" or not they deserve the exposure as well as the possible business that might come from it. Now I could be persuaded to say that the pattern is not my own and simply don't give credit to designer if I am upset enough by baseless claims and accusations. 


I envy people who have the time to pour over every Etsy shop, blog, and crochet website available to see what the competition looks like. I know my worth and the quality of my work, as I also know that there are people who are more talented and will have better quality work than I do. Therefore, I'm not interested in scrutinizing other designers/sellers or much less dealing with any type of issues that arise from Copyright drama, I am familiar with the law and do not need to be reminded of it. Let's leave it at that. 

For those of you who are interested there is a Ravelry group called Copyright Matters where there are several resources available in case you want to familiarize yourself with this issue. 

My venting is officially over, if I don't get back before the Holidays please remember to take this time of the year to cherish your loved ones, let's be thankful for all we are and all we have as we never know what tomorrow might bring. 

Happy Holidays! 

~PD


No comments:

Post a Comment